Every now and then I write a post that generates a lot of dialogue and interest. This comes in the form of replies to the post, comments on Facebook, and people stopping me in the halls at work. Surprisingly, my husband’s agreement to go fully plant based for two weeks was one of those topics that had people talking. Not a day went by this past week that someone didn’t text, message or stop me in the hall to ask how David was making out.
“Is he hungry?”
“Do you think he’s cheating?”
“Is he cranky?” (Anyone who knows David knows this one is hard to judge from normal!)
I’m happy to report that he survived the week and, while not perfect, he made a lot of really good choices that surprised me.
The week’s observations and results:
- He was down 3 1/2 pounds after just 5 days.
- He didn’t feel deprived, eating a lot more food than he thought he would.
- He felt good and his energy level was good.
- The oatmeal really filled him up so he wasn’t hungry until lunch.
- He was not a fan of eating oatmeal 5 days in a row. 🙂
- He missed his cheese.
- We went out to dinner Friday night (because I got home from work late and wasn’t cooking at 8:30 pm) and Saturday night (for his son’s birthday), so that was challenging for him. He felt like he was cheating on his promise to eat whole food plant based with no oil. In general, I was proud that he didn’t use ANY parmesan cheese or partake of the giant cinnamon bun that comes with dinner at the one local restaurant.
- Bread and butter continues to be a challenge. Butter is a violation of the “no oil” rule. 🙂
- People at his work were intrigued but only one was brave enough to sample the hummus (which they thought was good). One co-worker commented “Does Michele eat this every day???”. Yes. Yes, she does!
One more week to go and we’ll see if he continues. I’m encouraged and hopeful he sees enough good results on the weight and inflammation that he will want to maintain this way of eating.
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels! 🙂
In case you are wondering what our menu plan looks like for the upcoming week….
- Breakfast: Taking a break from the oatmeal, I made pumpkin apple muffins and blueberry zucchini muffins, and there’s cereal if those should run out.
- Lunch: Leftover Field Roast Sausage and peppers, or Save the Tuna Fish on rye from Crazy Sexy Kitchen (made from almonds, sunflower seeds and some other yummy ingredients)
- Snacks: spicy roasted chick peas, carrots with hummus, fruit
- Dinner: An “Isa Does It” sweep: Cheddary Broccoli Soup (hold the cheddar!), Lentil-a-Roni, Mushroom Barley Soup, Lentil Quinoa Stew, and Dilly Stew with Dumplings
Have a great week! Stay tuned for final results next weekend!
IMDb: One Week Later (2009)