I have taken NO Femara since Wednesday (so this is day 5) and I have decided, at a minimum, not to take it until after vacation which ends in August. What is interesting is that my blood pressure was back down to my normal range this morning (93/69), after only 5 days! My knees still hurt but I do feel the joint pain subsiding in other areas.
I was afraid of telling my husband that I wanted to stop taking this, since I knew he would worry. We had a good conversation on this yesterday, as he is concerned about me NOT taking it, and I am concerned if I DO.
Here’s my rationale:
- I need to balance the risk of a recurrence of cancer with the risk of all the side effects from the drug (in my case, I have experienced elevated blood pressure, headaches, lack of sleep for the past three months, pressure behind my eyes, severe joint pain, and vaginal dryness and pain — fun stuff).
- These side effects have made me feel like I’m 90 years old on most days, and I’m tired of feeling that way (and tired of crying about it). I have been unable to exercise, I’m tired all the time, and there are other impacts that I’d rather not address here!
- I have made so many positive changes in my lifestyle, the most important of which is following a whole food, plant based diet. I have continued to research this topic and the overwhelming evidence demonstrates that this type of change prevents cancer.
- Once the joint pain subsides, I will be able to resume exercising, something I have been unable to do due to the pain.
- I have fretted and prayed and meditated on this subject for the past 3 months. In my gut, it is the right decision.
We did talk about trying an alternate schedule, like taking it every other day, or one week on/one week off. I figure I will wait until vacation is over and I’ll revisit the decision then. For now, these are my “drugs”!